|2014:||75-years of DC-area organized caving.|
|Monthly meetings continue to be on the 2nd Thursday.|
Others are listed here: Event Photos
Recent (Dec.2013) video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
To prevent web robots from harvesting contact info, some of the below links may prompt for a username and password. If so, enter username: calend & password: gocave.
Area-wide Calendar -- lists scheduled caving activities (meetings, trips, and other events) in the DC and Baltimore area. Some events may also have a PDF flyer.
Some Upcoming Highlights:
Mar 13 (Thu), 7:30p: General meeting: Chevy Chase Community Ctr. in DC.
At 6:00 or 6:15p: Optional pre-meeting dinner at very nearby American City Diner, which (from the Community Ctr.) is on the opposite side of CT Av. & a full-block south, at #5532.
See: details and directions to both. Note: this is a change of pre-meeting dinner venue. Program: Once again, we're going to do Lightning Talks, where you can participate, or simply enjoy.
Mar 27 (Thu), 6:00p: EC meeting, in: 3-Sisters Cave. Details will be forthcoming.
Mar 27 (Thu), 7:00p: A WNS film is being shown for the DC Environmental Film Festival this year, re White Nose Syndrome in Pennsylvania. This is a free event. See the Details.
Mar 28 - 30: Trip to Bone & Norman caves, Greenbrier Co., WV. There is a limit on the number of participants in the thru-trip (Bone to Norman). Others will be going into Norman for some photography. Contact is: Jon L.. Stay tuned, as details are further finalized.
Mar 28 - 30: NCRC Course: Orientation to Cave Rescue Training, at Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA. Details are HERE.
Apr 10 (Thu): Informal meeting at Hard Times Cafe in Bethesda, MD. Arrive around 6:15p to allow time to order, eat, and socialize, before the main focus of the 7:30p meeting. See: details & directions.
Apr 11 - 13: Spring VAR will be held at the RASS field station in Bath County, VA. See details on the VAR page. There is also a Poster and Registration Form [PDF] (Directions to site are on back of registration form.) .
June 20 - 22:
PSC Jamboree, at PSC's Lutz Fieldstation, near Frost, WV.
See the Announcement.
Aug 28 - Sep 1: OTR (Old-Timers' Reunion), Dailey, WV (10mi. S. of Elkins).
Oct ??: Fall VAR, hosted by Monongahela Grotto. Details will be forthcoming.
July 13 - 17, 2015: NSS 2015 Convention in Waynesville, Pulaski Co., MO.
July, 2016: NSS 2016 Convention in Ely, NV. ( NSS 75th Anniversary )
- Jan 25, 2014 Donaldson Cave trip [Fb], posted by Keely Owens (on Facebook)
- Jan 11, 2014 Jones Quarry Cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Nov 30, 2013 "P"-Caves Trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Nov 2, 2013 PSC wkend, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 28, 2013 Eric Porters cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 27, 2013 Sinnett-Thorn Mtn., posted by Eric Berge
- July 30-31, 2011 Paxton & Porter Caves, by Doug Lake
- June 10-12, 2011 SERA Pictures and Trip Report, by Adam Lake
- May 15, 2011 Whiting's Neck group photo, by Keely Owens
- Apr 30, 2011 Poor Farm Cave (VAR weekend) by Doug Lake
- Mar 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by John Armstrong
- Feb 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by Doug Lake
- Dec 4, 2010 DC Grotto Banquet by Brian Freyling
- Nov 7, 2010 Great Falls vertical practice by Brian Freyling
- Jul 24, 2010 North Fork Mountain vertical trip by John Armstrong
Bat Die-off CrisisSomething is causing the death of huge numbers of bats, seemingly associated with White Nose Syndrome, starting in the Northeast, and having spread into PA, WV, and VA. With the possibility of human cave visitation assisting this spread, precautions include cave closures (check the VAR Closed Cave List prior to any trip), and de-contamination of all cave gear before and after visiting any open cave. For lots more information, visit any of these links:
- Bob Hoke's: Primary Sources Time-line
- NSS: WNS-Liaison | NSS Policy: 2010 | 2009 (PDF)
- Recent (Dec.2013) video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
- WhiteNoseSyndrome.org -
North America's response to the devastating bat disease, with
(as of June 25, 2012) decontamination procedures:
- USGS: Bat-opsy Ctr. | Ft.Collins Sci.Ctr. (good overview)
- WV-DNR: 2/23/09 WNS Confirmation
- VA-DCR: Karst & Bats | VA Cave Board | VA-DGIF
- IN-DNR: Bat Disease | Closing IN Caves (5/1/09 News Release)
- Bat Conservation & Management, Inc.: WNS-Page
- Northeast Cave Conservancy: Main-Page
Trout Rock Bat CountsClick here to see the results of the annual bat counts in Trout, Hamilton, and New Trout caves in Pendleton County, W.V.