|2014:||75-years of DC-area organized caving.|
|Monthly meetings continue to be on the 2nd Thursday.|
Others are listed here: Event Photos
Recent (Dec.2013) video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
Mar 15, 2014: NSS BOG voted to add the New River Cave Preserve
To prevent web robots from harvesting contact info, some of the below links may prompt for a username and password. If so, enter username: calend & password: gocave.
Area-wide Calendar -- lists scheduled caving activities (meetings, trips, and other events) in the DC and Baltimore area. Some events may also have a PDF flyer.
Some Upcoming Highlights:
Apr 18 - 20: Grand Caverns Easter Restoration Camp [PDF] (in Grottoes, Virginia)
Apr 30 (Wed): Deadline for getting the $40 early registration discount for the NSS Convention in July.
May 4 (Sun), 1:00p: B.A.T.S. Vertical SRT practice at the old 29 bridge in Silver Spring. Lat./Long. = ( 39.050245, -76.978342 ) See Details. [Fb]
May 8 (Thu), 7:30p: General meeting: Chevy Chase Community Ctr. in DC.
At 6:00 or 6:15p: Optional pre-meeting dinner at very nearby American City Diner, which (from the Community Ctr.) is on the opposite side of CT Av. & a full-block south, at #5532.
See: details and directions to both. Note: this is a change of pre-meeting dinner venue. Program: T.B.D.
June 12 (Thu): !! Change of Venue !! Joint meeting with PSC and BATS at Ragtime Restaurant, 1345 N Courthouse Rd., Arlington, VA. Arrive around 6:15p to allow time to order, eat, and socialize, before the main focus of the 7:30p meeting. See: details & directions.
June 20 - 22:
PSC Jamboree, at PSC's Lutz Fieldstation, near Frost, WV.
See the Announcement.
Aug 28 - Sep 1: OTR (Old-Timers' Reunion), Dailey, WV (10mi. S. of Elkins).
Oct 10 - 12: Fall MAR field Meet, at Rupert Cave Preserve, McVeytown, PA (Mifflin County). Details to follow... , perhaps HERE.
July 13 - 17, 2015: NSS 2015 Convention in Waynesville, Pulaski Co., MO.
July, 2016: NSS 2016 Convention in Ely, NV. ( NSS 75th Anniversary )
- Jan 25, 2014 Donaldson Cave trip [Fb], posted by Keely Owens (on Facebook)
- Jan 11, 2014 Jones Quarry Cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Nov 30, 2013 "P"-Caves Trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Nov 2, 2013 PSC wkend, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 28, 2013 Eric Porters cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 27, 2013 Sinnett-Thorn Mtn., posted by Eric Berge
- July 30-31, 2011 Paxton & Porter Caves, by Doug Lake
- June 10-12, 2011 SERA Pictures and Trip Report, by Adam Lake
- May 15, 2011 Whiting's Neck group photo, by Keely Owens
- Apr 30, 2011 Poor Farm Cave (VAR weekend) by Doug Lake
- Mar 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by John Armstrong
- Feb 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by Doug Lake
- Dec 4, 2010 DC Grotto Banquet by Brian Freyling
- Nov 7, 2010 Great Falls vertical practice by Brian Freyling
- Jul 24, 2010 North Fork Mountain vertical trip by John Armstrong
Bat Die-off CrisisSomething is causing the death of huge numbers of bats, seemingly associated with White Nose Syndrome, starting in the Northeast, and having spread into PA, WV, and VA. With the possibility of human cave visitation assisting this spread, precautions include cave closures (check the VAR Closed Cave List prior to any trip), and de-contamination of all cave gear before and after visiting any open cave. For lots more information, visit any of these links:
- Bob Hoke's: Primary Sources Time-line
- NSS: WNS-Liaison | NSS Policy: 2010 | 2009 (PDF)
- Recent (Dec.2013) video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
- WhiteNoseSyndrome.org -
North America's response to the devastating bat disease, with
(as of June 25, 2012) decontamination procedures:
- USGS: Bat-opsy Ctr. | Ft.Collins Sci.Ctr. (good overview)
- WV-DNR: 2/23/09 WNS Confirmation
- VA-DCR: Karst & Bats | VA Cave Board | VA-DGIF
- IN-DNR: Bat Disease | Closing IN Caves (5/1/09 News Release)
- Bat Conservation & Management, Inc.: WNS-Page
- Northeast Cave Conservancy: Main-Page
Trout Rock Bat CountsClick here to see the results of the annual bat counts in Trout, Hamilton, and New Trout caves in Pendleton County, W.V.